Re: taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: taildragger conversion
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:50:59
To answer all your queries in one note, the taildragger Swiss conversion has
been further developed by Luc Job and a prototype built, tested and approved
in the UK. That was over a year ago since when nothing has happened because
the PFA was unwilling to give wider approval for want of an installation
manual to enable us mere mortals to be able to understand and make the
installation.

The exception was that Dave Hunter in the UK could install one for you
(because he had done the prototype).

As the manual was the only thing holding things up, I undertook with Luc Job
to write the manual and re-present the drawings he had already done.
Meanwhile, Luc was looking for a UK agent to market a complete kit.

 When the manual is complete, then in theory there would be nothing stopping
you ordering the principal component (the carbonfibre single-piece gearleg)
and installing the thing yourself. At this stage you would need to obtain
the other bits and pieces needed to make the conversion; these are common
off-the-shelf items like bolts, bushing stock, phenolic sheet, glass, resin
and Matco wheels (if you prefer). Currently there are no fairings available,
but its not beyond the wit of a Europa builder to make his/her own or (using
that other homebuilder skill) wait.

Approval of your local regulatory authority would also be your problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Duncan McFadyean