Re: taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: taildragger conversion
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:35:21
Graham,
Have just been rereading my e-mails about undercarriage setups and am now
really seriously thinking about a more conventional undercarriage for my
beast. I think a taildragger is what I really want. What do you mean by this?:
"The only downside is the rods cost a bomb and do rather loosen the
fillings off piste."

Better to ask, and then know, rather than remain ignorant (even if you do
have to wipe the egg off your face from time to time :-))

Reg
Tony Renshaw

>In message <970102191117_101234.3202_GHV77-1@CompuServe.COM>, Duncan
>McFadyean <101234.3202@compuserve.com> writes
>>Drag from well faired fixed gear is conventionally thought to be
insignificant
>>below about 120mph. But I wouldn`t have GUESSED any more than 5 to 10 mph
 would
>>be lost from top speed.
>
>I thought the reasonable comparison of ratios of parasite to total drag
>was around 0.65Cdp for a fixed and 0.85Cdp for a rectractable though
>those numbers usually relate to conventional gear and not to a single
>inline tandem.
>
>> although Europa layout
>>dictates reduced separation of the legs.
>
>Must be to do with the central hump, does that therefore discount it as
>a desirable mile high club machine?
>The excellent stability had I thought qualified it especially it's
>compliance with JAR-VLA23 ie. the bit about establishing the safety of
>operation including the range of lateral centres of gravity if possible
>
>Otherwise I like the notion of tapered rod spring gear, simple in fact
>elegant in many respects and a big plus, the aircraft won't fall over
>when you take the wings off. There is a nice example of the genre in the
>new Glasstar which shows the simplicity of construction. The only
>downside is the rods cost a bomb and do rather loosen the fillings off
>piste.
>
>--
>Graham E Laucht

Reg