That fuel tank....

Subject: That fuel tank....
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:20:18
Cheers:
        That fuel tank has given me another start.... Actually, while waiting
for a capacitance probe, I dismounted the tank and, having produced two
2-3/8inch holes in the top, decided to peruse the innards using a high
intensity lamp (the 'worm' kind you can twist about)and my reading
glasses.
        What to my wondering eyes should appear, just about all but eight tiny
reindeer. I have handled the tank fairly carefully - always drilled
inverted, always capped every opening, swished with water and drained
then wafted with filtered air.....etc etc.
        No complaint of the manufacturer or distributor (the holes were mine)
but the inside wall;s, bottom AND top were covered in a welter of tiny
specks, some black, some white. 'No big ting' - a Jamaican saying - in a
Wright Whirlwing carb, but pretty worrisome in those little needle jets
and certainly a filler for inline filters...... O'm glad we must put in
gascolators here.
the insides, using some form of bright light and a reduced flexible
vacuum wand that will reach into all the corners. I hope you aren't
surprised........
Happy Landings,
Ferg #A064 (319)