Home made antenna's

Subject: Home made antenna's
From: Paul McAllister <pma@obtero.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 08:41:24
Hi all.

I posted a similar message on an avionics newsgroup, and I was wondering if
any one in the Europa community was a wiz on RF matters

The problem that I am trying to solve is that I want an antenna for my VOR,
Glide slope and marker beacon in my composite home built. In order to
educate myself a little more I consulted the ARRL hand book.  I have three
questions:

My understanding is that the balun is needed to match impedances to prevent
reflected energy passing up the coaxial braid.  If the antenna is for
receiving only is a balun even required ?

Are ferrite beads on the outside of the coaxial cable effective in doing
this ? In the Europa manual they show a simple dipole constructed like this.

Since the 3 frequencies are almost multiples of each other, can I construct
or purchase a splitter that will allow me to connect all 3 to the one
antenna ?

Thanks,  Paul McAllister