Re: AW: aircraft destroyed

Subject: Re: AW: aircraft destroyed
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:18:40
There are several solutions to this hazard, varying from very simple and
reasonably safe, to pretty complex but very safe.

1. - Very Simple - As Graham points out, a hazard only exists when a low
resistance to ground permits a charge on the aircraft to discharge rapidly
and create a spark. The high resistance to earth can be provided by the
pilot/refueller on removing the fuel cap.  Simply roll the fingers around
the edge of the rim to touch the aluminium filler.  If there is a local
charge, then there is a very good chance it will be dissipated by your body.
(You will also have the benefit of seeing if there was one too).

2.    Not so simple - run a wire from the filler neck to the undercarriage.
The monowheel of the Europa has a 70k ohm resistance to ground because the
tyre contains carbon.  This method has the advantage of NOT requiring an
earth clip on the exhaust.

3.    Pain in the Arse - apply an area of conducting paint, or carbon fibre
veil, around 250mm radius around the filler neck.  This will collect local
charge, via a high resistance from charged areas of the aircraft.  Connect
this, via the filler to the U/C or engine mount or both.

I did some work on charge collection on composites (in flight) some time ago
and have the figures if anyone's interested.

Dave Simpson