AW: aircraft destroyed

Subject: AW: aircraft destroyed
From: 11323@auswaertigesamt.de
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:28:18
Another shock went through the Europa community. Any of our beloved planes
could melt in front of our eyes - just because a spark formed.

Here is a mail I received from Kim Prout many months ago - reproduced
without
permission. (Kim, may I ?).

Hello Thomas!
Although never a problem on N111EU regarding fueling, I am considering
attaching a ground wire to the metal fill neck and running it to engine
ground so that when attaching ground wire to exhaust pipe it is indeed
carried from the nozzle at fill neck to ground. Keeping the  nozzle firmly
against the metal neck should help anyway, the problems come when there is a
potential with un-contacted surfaces building a static charge. I'm sure
there are others out there who can tell you all the science of this, but
practically speaking this is my experience (and idea based on fire
department stuff).
kp

Makes sense to me - avoid any opposed electrical potentials to form
in the first place by keeping the nozzle in touch with the filler neck.

Sincerely,

<Thomas, N81EU>