Re: Navaid Wing Leveller

Subject: Re: Navaid Wing Leveller
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:09:51
carl@photos.prestel.co.uk wrote:

> We are very interested in using something like the smart coupler with our
> Navaid wing leveller. Unfortunately our Navaid is now some 4 yrs old (though
> sadly not yet flown ) and only takes analog inputs which are designed mainly
> for VOR.
>
> Our Skyforce only has NMEA output and yes, skyforce do a box to convert this
> to analog - price 600 (or about $900 !!!!!). So we gave up the idea up till
> now.
>
> We understood that Navaid now made levellers which take digital input but
> having visited their site it seems they simply incorporate the smart coupler
> in their box. Im not sure if they do retro fits.
>
> Anyway the question is has anyone used the smart coupler (ie- actually flown
> in their Europa) and if so how well does it work. Does it track accurately
> and can it cope with waypoint course changes (without flying you all over
> the sky).
>
> For $200 it seems like a worthwhile gadget to have (if it works).
>
> Also which version of the smartcoupler is applicable to the Navaid wing
> leveller.
>
> Carl Pattinson
>
> G-LABS

   We haven't flown our Europa yet, which has the Navaid
installed, connected to a Skyforce IIIC. I hear nothing but
good about the Navaid at our EAA chapter, with a number
of RV4/RV6 and LongEZ installations. It is said to do
quite well in turbulence, and has shown great value
in at least one case of inadvertant flight into IMC, where
the death-spiral had already begun and was cheated by
turning on the Navaid.
   I believe that the applicapable smartcoupler is the
SmartCouplerII LE, if you are addiing on to your
Navaid/Skyforce, but check at www.porcine.com
for more info.

Terry Seaver
A135