Re: Navaid Wing Leveller

Subject: Re: Navaid Wing Leveller
From: carl@photos.prestel.co.uk
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 20:07:25
We are very interested in using something like the smart coupler with our
Navaid wing leveller. Unfortunately our Navaid is now some 4 yrs old (though
sadly not yet flown ) and only takes analog inputs which are designed mainly
for VOR.

Our Skyforce only has NMEA output and yes, skyforce do a box to convert this
to analog - price 600 (or about $900 !!!!!). So we gave up the idea up till
now.

We understood that Navaid now made levellers which take digital input but
having visited their site it seems they simply incorporate the smart coupler
in their box. Im not sure if they do retro fits.

Anyway the question is has anyone used the smart coupler (ie- actually flown
in their Europa) and if so how well does it work. Does it track accurately
and can it cope with waypoint course changes (without flying you all over
the sky).

For $200 it seems like a worthwhile gadget to have (if it works).

Also which version of the smartcoupler is applicable to the Navaid wing
leveller.

Carl Pattinson

G-LABS

We would be interested to hear from anyone who is currently flying their
Europa with a Navaid wing leveller. Is there anything we should make sure of
while we are installing it etc. We are intending to attach it to the fork at
the bottom of the pilots control stick (where we can get at it if
necessary). The servo box mounted on the floor just in front of the thigh
support to the right of the stick (adjacent to the wheel box).