Re: Drilling the TP10 bushes

Subject: Re: Drilling the TP10 bushes
From: Gerry Cole <gccole13@cwcom.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:33:02
Paul,
I was concerned with the risk of opening up the interference-fit holes
by following step 10 to install the TP10 sleeves. The method I used
still has some risk of going wrong but won't damage the torque tube
holes. The holes for the TP14B pins have been accurately drilled by the
factory and I guessed that if I drilled the TP10 sleeves in one go on a
drill press using a carefully set up Vee bar to hold the sleeves, my
holes would align with the factory holes - and they did. (Aircraft
Spruce list a suitable Vee bar - P/N 12-20815 in my out of date copy)

My outboard pip pins are an easy sliding fit in the TP14B holes and I
used them instead of the TB14B pins for the numerous temporary
assemblies (assemblings?) to avoid wear of the holes. Once the torque
tube bearings were installed the drive plates and torque tube were
temporarily assembled in place without the TP10 sleeves using the pip
pins and wedges to centre the assembly in the rear fuselage. I then made
up a spacer plate for each side. These had an accurate 1/4" slot to
accommodate the shank of the pip pin and were carefully trimmed to give
an easy sliding fit between the torque tube bearing and the pip pin in
the TP14B hole. The spacer plates were then used to set up the TP10
sleeves on the drill press.  I found that after final assembly there was
no lateral play at all on the torque tube but it rotates quite freely -
I would have been happier with just perceptible play but it is OK.

Hope this helps but be careful, there are several chances to make an
error.

Gerry