RE: Fin Attach

Subject: RE: Fin Attach
From: ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 12:11:49
Hi! Troy.
No disrespect to  Graham, but I recall that I wished I had never seen the
stern post when I was fitting it. However I will admit that once in and
complete the result is a much stronger assembly.
I recall that it didn't have anything like the correct angles of the return
of the two sides which made it impossible to get into place without a heat
gun to make it pliable., even then I had every clamp available and more
straightedges than I care to remember.
I also recall that the PORT side return was about 1" short at the bottom
running out to  size at the top.  One problem was that the stern post had to
traverse over the fin to fuselage joints which had to be sanded well down to
retain  some strength. I used ply wood in the bottom then really well and
truly 'potted' the stern post into place with a generous helping of redux.
So that it oozed out everywhere. I then put one ply of bid over the entire
closeout. With additional plies at the hinge points.
The one thing in favour of the sternpost method is that since it is so
strong you can use some cleco's to set up the rudder actually in place to
ensure there is leading edge clearance and full angular swing  complete with
hinges before you  do the final redux potting.
Don't forget that the rudder rises in one direction so you need clearance at
the top of the close out to allow it. Also you will probably putting a VHF
antena in the close out so you need to have room for the coax joint etc.
also don't forget your tail wheel  gear hole and the holes for the rudder
cables.
All IMHO of course!!!!!
Regards
Bob Harrison  Kit 337 Europa /Jabiru 3300 G-PTAG