Re: Cutting cockpit and fuselage

Subject: Re: Cutting cockpit and fuselage
From: Paul McAllister <pma@obtero.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:22:11
Hi Brian,

I fitted my module today.  I put a 100 mm inspection port under each fuel
outlet.  I have it positioned over the fuel tank about 1/4. of the way.
This gives me good access to the hose clips.  I marked out where the fuel
tank sat in the fuselage before I bonded it into the cockpit module.  The
holes are in a direct line with the tank outlets.  I did hear that the
latter fuselages have the inspection ports put in, similar to the ones in
the wings,  I assume you don't have one of these.

I haven't cut the back of the back wall yet,  I thought that I would figure
it out when the time comes.

I have enclosed the text that will become part of Aprils WEB page,
hopefully it might help you a bit when you bond in your module.

Regards,  Paul

Sunday 16
I have wanted to get to this stage for a long time.  As near as I can tell I
have no more excuses left not to bond in the cockpit module.  I put a tiny
bit more spiral wrap on some hoses; spot sanded a few more places and
checked all of the nuts and bolts for the last time.  Marty and Eric came by
and it was time to mix up some Redux. I mixed up 400 grams in the first
batch and applied it using an icing bag.  I only applied it to the fuselage,
I left the cockpit module dry.  The icing bag does a nice job, but if I were
to do this again I think I would have put a fine layer on with a notched
spreader first and then put a good bead on with the icing bag after.

We had put a couple of planks of wood across the fuselage and set  the
module on top.  We swung it down at an angle and this seemed not to smear
the glue around too much.  The first observation was that we didn't have
enough Redux in place.  I should have been much more generous with it.  It
was fairly easy to introduce more by just sliding the icing bag into the gap
and squeezing it out.
I used self-piercing metal screws covered with grease to put it down, I used
nearly 2 boxes of the things.  Even with so many screws I still had dry
spots, so I had to inject some more Redux on with a syringe via small drill
holes. The manual didn't say so but I found it  helpful to cut out part of
the wheel well.  I cut back around 50-mm. from the marked out edge.  This
lets you get up and make sure that plenty of Redux is around the flange on
the inside.
With three of us on the job it took about 3.5 hours, 700 grams of Redux,
about 150 metal screws and three bowls of hot chili !!