Re: RE: Flaps and things!

Subject: Re: RE: Flaps and things!
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:03:47
Keith Tallent writes --

> I have alodined (is that the term!) FL1 thru 3 but I was wondering, should I
>  also zinc oxide (chromate substitute)coat them as well?
>  Bearing in mind most of this will come off when they are scuff sanded
before
>  the layup.

Along with the Alodine treatment.  The epoxy should be applied to clean
metal, not any primer (nor its sanded residue).  An excellent chromate primer
is Stits Poly-Fiber EP-420 epoxy chromate - adheres tenaciously to aluminum.
Put it on my Grumman in 1977 over alodined metal; repainted her in 1987 by
just sanding down to the green EP-420 in 1987.  Not hangared.  Still in great
shape.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063