Re: RE: Flaps and things!

Subject: Re: RE: Flaps and things!
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:22:02
 The epoxy should be applied to clean metal, not any primer (nor its sanded
residue).  An excellent chromate primer
>is Stits Poly-Fiber EP-420 epoxy chromate - adheres tenaciously to
aluminum.
>Put it on my Grumman in 1977 over alodined metal; repainted her in 1987 by
>just sanding down to the green EP-420 in 1987.  Not hangared.  Still in
great
>shape.

In my experience epoxy will not adhere permanently to clean Aluminium
because corosion will creep in from the air/metal interface due to
moisture, stress corosion and maybe some other factor such as type of
alloy. Takes a year or three but does occur. I always Alodine . Epoxy won't
stick to hard anodised surfaces either.

Graham