Re: 75% Power?

Subject: Re: 75% Power?
From: Andy Draper <ANDY@europaaircraft.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:00:19
Dear Garry

Refer to Rotax 914 operators manaual page 33.
For altitude effects refer to page 34
You can cruise at a continuous 5500rpm with a maximum boost of 34 in Hg
(page 30).

Best regards

Andy
Technical Manager
Andy=40europa-aircraft.com

>>> <gstout=40us.ibm.com> 12/13/99 03:27pm >>>

In planning my first cross country flight, at altitude, it occurred to me
that I really don't have a good understanding of "cruise power" settings as
it applies to my 914 powered, fixed pitch prop Europa.  I've always thought
of cruise power as 75% power, but how does one calculate 75% power
settings?  I have a tachometer, a manifold pressure gauge, and a turbo
boost gauge.  Which one do I use to set my cruise power, and how does
altitude affect the settings?  Can any experienced turbo pilots out there
help me out?  Also, is there any reason why one cannot cruise at a power
setting greater than 75%......other than the obvious greater fuel
consumption?  What is the highest power setting one can continuously cruise
at?

Next, perhaps silly, question.  Has anyone come up with a good way to keep
water out of the fuselage when washing the plane?  Yesterday I spent 45
minutes "taping" over all the orifices before I began washing the plane.
There=27s the pitot tube, the fuel tank vent, the static ports, the elevator
trim slots and the flap slots to worry about.  Any thoughts out there?

Regards,
Garry
(813) 878-3929
FAX (813) 878-5651, Internet ID Gstout@us.ibm.com

The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK - info=40avnet.co.uk