Re: TP5 - TP6

Subject: Re: TP5 - TP6
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:21:24
For my own part, the installation seems to have worked out well.  The tubes
went together well, and went in without undue problems (although it did
take a bit of persistent roughing of the inside of the lightening hole by
rotating the tube repeatedly to get the hole sized exactly right).  With
regard to the venting, I made the requisite holes with a hot welding rod
through both sides of the lightening hole, then did the same thing --below
the lightening hole-- between the two adjacent holes.  The inside of the
TP5/6 tube is itself vented into the TP1 lightening holes which are also
cross-vented.  So I think it will be OK.

It seems to me that the added "connect" between TP1 and TP2 due to the tube
assembly will be worthwhile.   FYI, I did not feel the need to insert the
steel torque tube into the assembly during the internal rib layup on TP2,
as the TP5-6 distance is fixed nicely already, and although I did drill a 1
3/4" hole in my table top to accept the short protuding end of the tube, I
did not have the torque tube size etc to contend with.  I do suggest you
leave a plug in the end of the TP5-6 tube however to avoid even the chance
of getting epoxy in it as the fiberglass for the rib is lowered over the
tube....

Jim Graham
A-101