Re: Bubble in Fiberglass

Subject: Re: Bubble in Fiberglass
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:47:52
Jim Hi!

>Would appreciate advice from the board...
>
>I'm looking for the correct fix for an air pocket that showed up after I
>did my first internal tailplane rib (on TP2 outboard side).

Been here plus had complete area of destruction to O/B end of Aileron
during curing (hot spot in Oven)

First mark out the area affected. Sounds silly but ensures you have
really had a good look at problem area.

Cut out bubble or poorly 'fixed' area carefully with Dremel or similar.

Sand down and around area outwards at about 40:1 gradient.

Prepare area and cloth 'patches' as per original orientation etc.

I was advised to make a small trough around the foam in affected area
with razor knife, removing foam.

Fill this with flox, lay-up into and around area ensuring 'take up' in
gradient. Reduce 'patch' size if appropriate to best the best level you
can and if others advise in this forum then cover in peel ply.

My Aileron had horrific area of damage.  10" X 4" plus outboard closeout
completely twisted away from Skins. (Can supply photo's if necessary!!)
Using the advice and inspection of my Inspector who has many years on
building with composites we brutally removed all damage and then
repaired following closely the method described. It all turned out fine
and has 'filled' OK with Polyfiber Superfil.

I guess there is a slight weight penalty but I'm offsetting that thought
by the advantages I feel I'm getting with the Polyfiber Finishing
method. Only time will tell!!!

It will turn out fine Jim!
Go for it!

Kind Regards

Gerry

Europa 384 G-DDSC
*** PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF DIRECT PHONE AND FAX NUMBER ***

Gerry Holland                                   Direct Line : +44 1761 435706
                                                        or  : +44 7071 227887
IntraNet Solutions Inc                          Switchboard : +44 1753 701072
Strategic Business Manager EMEA Operations      Direct Fax  : +44 1761 437590
The Nova Building, Herschel Street              Mobile      : +44 7808 402404
Slough, Berks. SL1 1XS
mailto:gerry.holland@intranetsol.com

Corporate Office:
8091 Wallace Road, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
Tel No. 001 612 903 2000

Corporate Web Site     : http://www.intranetsol.com
UK & Europe Web Site   : http://www.intranetsol.co.uk