Bubble in Fiberglass

Subject: Bubble in Fiberglass
From: Jim Graham <jlgraham@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:43:39
Would appreciate advice from the board...

I'm looking for the correct fix for an air pocket that showed up after I
did my first internal tailplane rib (on TP2 outboard side).  Mostly the
work turned out very nicely, BUT I ended up with a horrific bubble
(about 1.5 inches long and maybe
3/8" wide) just alongside the plywood on the upper surface (not the
surface that will be joined to TP3).  It MUST be fixed, but cannot be
just cut/drilled open and filled with epoxy/flox, because it is a raised
spot that would later make smoothing the top of the tailplane very
difficult, and would certainly result in a high spot that would require
a lot of filling all around...

I really screwed up somehow, but I don't know exactly what I did to
cause it.  Probably the glass was too dry right at that spot, thereby
allowing it to come loose and then not adhering as I went around
checking it and adding peel ply.  My recollection is that I will need to
cut it out all around, then "layer back" the layers of glass with
sanding, and re-layup each layer lipping over the ones before it.  Is
this it, or is there more?

Advice would be welcome from anyone who has had such a problem or who
recalls where I can find the answer in the extensive hints and tips
material... Thanks.

Jim Graham
On A-101's tailplane but (temporarily) not happy tonight