Re: electronic scales

Subject: Re: electronic scales
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:47:49

>I suspect a lot of your perceived accuracy of mix goes right out of the
>window.

I don't think I mentioned MIXING - my post was on measuring or rather
proportioning the components to be mixed. However, your post brings
up another facet of getting the epoxy "right".

After portioning, mixing is the next part of the whole process aimed
at getting all of the hardener molecules to hook up with all of the
resin molecules. That is of course the theoretical ideal state - but
I haven't been an engineer for over 30 years without spotting that
theory and practice often do not line up. However, the fact that it
may be difficult to achieve full and thorough mixing of the measured
components is not a reason to suggest that one should neglect the
epoxy manufacturers advice on component proportions for optimum
strength.

I was idly thinking as I stirred pots of epoxy at the Weekend
Workshop that the tongue depressors were not making good contact with
the bottom corners of the mixing pots. I tried holding the stick
tangential to keep the tip in contact, but that was not so easy. I
appreciate the suggestion to bandsaw off the tips, and will implement
it.

I'm after anything I can do to optimise the chances of getting things right!

>    It would be interesting to do a scientific analysis of the mix
>from different parts of the pot, for a number of homebuilders.   I suspect
>the results might be a little different from the manufacturers theoretical
>ratio.

Couldn't agree more. That's why there are so many extra safety
factors built-in to the strength calculations for homebuilt composite
aircraft.

regards

Rowland

           ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...