Re: XS cockpit brake

Subject: Re: XS cockpit brake
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 02:33:10

>        I beg the following from whoever can supply:
>1. the travel distance in inches/mm. on the top surface of the
>console,     at the back of the LG13 from 'at rest' position back to
>full brake     position; and

The brake lever shouldn't move more than 1/4 inch measured at the surface
of the tunnel, Any more and it indicates either air in the system or worn
brake pads. As the pads wear the lever moves back. This is because it has
no resevoir.

Bleeding the brakes can be problematical. Think where the air bubble might
be. My technique is to remove the slave cylinder from the wheel. Fill the
system from the top with the bleed valve open and higher than the cylinder.
Close the valve when full. Close the filler hole.Pull on the lever to push
the piston out to it's limit. (ie almost but not quite out of the cylinder.
)  Then wipe up the mess because it did come out, start again, {{:-(
Now, remove the filler cap and top up, fit the Europa filler/bleeder tool
and squeeze the piston back into the slave cylinder, this pushes fluid back
up the tube and into the master cylinder. Usually you will see a few
bubbles escape into the funnel at this point. That is the cure.

It will be necessary to pull the brake lever back once to expell any air
---From the master cylinder, then remove the Europa tool and close the filler
hole. Reassemble the brakes and test. Don't go for an absolutley solid
brake because thermal expansion of the fluid will apply brakes when you
don't want it. Allow a small amount of fluid to bleed out to give maybe 3mm
movement of the lever at the tunnel top.

Graham