Re: Flettner Strip for Rudder Trim

Subject: Re: Flettner Strip for Rudder Trim
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:20:30
In a message dated 11/18/99 2:32:02 PM Central Standard Time,
gstout@us.ibm.com writes:

<< Martin, I too need to correct my rudder trim but am loath to screw on an
 ugly metal trim tab.  What do you plan to use as material for your
 fletner strip?  What size/dimentions, and how do you plan to attach it?
 Are you sure it will work?  Has anyone else you know, done such a thing
 and had it work successfully?  Thanks. Garry #A60

I am using a length of hard balsa trailing edge stock. I started with a piece
1 inch x 3/8 by about 2 feet long and taped it (masking tape) to the bottom
half of the rudder trailing edge. Several flights later I had trimmed it down
to about 14 inches - until I could fly feet off with ball in the middle. I
will now 5 min epoxy it, fill it with filler, sand it down to 240 grit, put
on a few layers of System Three Primer, wet sand it down to 400 grit then
give it to my painters to paint up to match the grey trim already on the
rudder.

Fortunately, my wings were straight as an arrow and don't need any trim tab
at all but I guess you could use the same method for the ailerons (stick them
on the undersurface though to maintain looks).

Regards

Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas