Searching for accuracy

Subject: Searching for accuracy
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:15:42
Lloyd:
        There was no misunderstanding on my part. I somply want to reinforce
the very positive remarks made by Rowland regarding the quest for
accuracy. I stand by my response. I too am familiar with system error
calculation, but I don't agree that one should ignore the consideration
- particularly when newcomers are perusing the mail. What Rowland said
was correct - consider the accuracy.

May I quote from your email -

"most of us mix with a round-tipped spatula on a flat-bottomed
container"
        Do most if us?

"I suspect a lot of your perceived accuracy of mix goes right out of the
window".
        Some might, I question "a lot of perceived accuracy".

"And my workmanship was laid bare for all to see in the homebuilders
tent at the PFA Rally "
        Everyone on net is pleased for you - but then your workmanship was
never questioned. Nor is ours in the main.

"As a matter of record, I do mix vigorously and thoroughly...
and_always_check the residue in the bottom of the pot after cure, for a
100% effective mix."
        You are apparently then not "most of us". Se the first quote.

"  For good measure, my inspector also happens to be a Vice President of
the PFA, so he would have much to lose if he were to pass work which was
not up to scratch."
        All inspectors have much to lose when they pass faulty construction. I
know of no inspector, no matter how lowly, who does not take great pride
in his attention to detail. By the way, mine is chief inspector for
Southern Ontario where about 85% of homebuilds arise.

"..... inspectors on numerous occasions all the way through the project
... and not just when the build is complete."
        You have the wrong country, Lloyd. Actually Canada is the large
Northern Half of the continent and has the RAA and AIR-ABA inspectors -
a meaningless designation elsewhere.

list of questions shortly to be presented to the CAA concerning the
standards arrayed against foreign-built aircraft in the UK. That Ivan
has managed to accomodate the JAR .... and to meet CAA requirements says
an great deal for his design.

        Let's call it a draw, and get on with the build. Don't tell my
inspector, but I'm still trying to get a blob of epoxy out of my best
troisers.
Happy Landings
Ferg A064