Re: BOB: Two Alternator Power Distribution Diagram

Subject: Re: BOB: Two Alternator Power Distribution Diagram
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:13:11
>Looking at your diagram, if you have an over voltage
>condition won't you open both field fuses?  In this
>fault your no better than having one alternator.  Or
>did I miss something?

   Very good question! With the OV protection systems
   of yesteryear, the condition you suggest would happen.
   A single overvoltage condition would trip both alternators
   off line. IF one uses the B&C regulators, they've
   been fitted with selective trip circuitry . . . the
   ov protection KNOWS if his alternator or some other
   source is responsable for the ov condition. Only the
   failed system is tripped off line.

   If you build up a dual alternator system using automotive
   regulators and my crowbar ov modules, you will indeed
   trip both alternators off at the same time . . . you
   reset the breakers for one system at a time and only
   once to decide which is the failed system. In either
   case, you still have the reliability of two alternators,
   you don't have the convenience of automatic failure
   diagnosis.

       Bob . . .