Re: Electrical Noise

Subject: Re: Electrical Noise
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:11:25

>Bob, does this mean that if I want a turn co-ordinator I should plan a noise
>filter from the begginning?

   No, please don't add a filter just 'cause someone else
   has reported a problem . . . you only need to do this IF
   your sure your situation is identical to the other guy's.

   A builder called me about 10 years ago and spent about
   5 minutes describing all the shielding and filtering he'd
   done on his airplane and then asked, "What else do I need?"

   I asked, "Gee, I dunno, what kind of noise problem do you
   have".

   "Oh," sez he, "No problem, I haven't flown the airplane
   yet."

   He had hours, dollars and pounds invested in noise abatement
   techniques that vast majority of which he probably didn't
   need.

   If your T/C is a KNOWN antagonist, meaning that a number
   of people have the same make and model and fixed a noise
   problem by adding a filter, then it's a good bet that you'll
   need it also. But lacking that kind of situation, don't
   hang filters on things until a problem manifests itself
   and you've identified source, propogation path, and victim.
   (See chapter on Noise Abatement in my book).

>Also, does the Navaid autopilot/turn co-ordinator need one too?

   I've not heard of anyone needing to filter the Navaid. (Has
   anyone else out there been aware of a Navaid noise problem?)

>Can two devices share the same noise filter?

   Sometimes . . . but remember that a single power source
   for two devices makes them vulnerable to single points
   of failure for both devices. One device craps and takes
   out the fuse for both.

       Bob . . .