Re: Dont be a PRE Builder!!!!

Subject: Re: Dont be a PRE Builder!!!!
From: Peter Bondar <pb@sco.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:35:17
Whilst I heartily agree that life is a trade off,I think it is not
unreasonable for some one to ask a set of valid questions to asertain
whether a particular kit is suitable.

The 'lets gets pregnant and we will sort it out later mode' may be
acceptable to some but I think it would be irresponsible to suggest to
everyone that this is an appropriate strategy is IMHO wrong.

Seeing this forum is for and to aid Europa builders it would be incorrect
for me as a MCR01 Banbi builder/flyer to suggest they turn elsewhere,
but here is a couple of points from my perspective having built 1 BANBI
and seen 3 others being built, plus watched 5 Europas being built/flight
tested.

The Banbi does not weigh anything close to 202 kgs empty.

In the way most people would see a plane built and flying it would be at
least 230kgs.

The lightest 2 Banbis in the UK are around 235 and 243 kgs.

see

http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown/pages/gbyez.htm for an example

On the other hand, IMHO for crew accomadation the Banbi is more roomy than
the Europa.

Yes the Europa has more luggage space (lots more with the xs).

If you are 5'10" and above 180 pounds the Banbi is more spacious, no bent
necks due to the cockpit curve.

I think the Europa hull is tougher in a crash, mind you one could say it has
to be
because so many Europas have come to grief (Lost of control on takeoff or
landing, NSI engine failure on T/O,
running out of fuel, clogged fuel pumps) against no reported accidents for
the Banbis, (although Europas have been
flying 5 years against BAnbi 2 years).

The Banbi is unproven in a crash, but it is lighter and ceratinly won't take
hangar rash as easily.

Of all the people who in the last six months have evaluated the two aircraft
at Cambridge only
one has gone for the Europa.

His reasons were adaptation and ease of access for a paraplegic pilot.

All the others sited better performance, greater ground stability, more
sporty feel,
better visibility (over the nose and peripheral) traded against expected
higher total cost of build.

That should stir the Hornents nest up!-:)

peter

Peter Bondar Vice President Tarantella Marketing SCO
UK telephone: +44 1223 518057, GSM: +44 7901 516259
US telephone:+1 831 427 7671, Cell +1 831 206 2263