Rudder horn help?!??!?!

Subject: Rudder horn help?!??!?!
From: Chris and Sue Beck <n9zes@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:41:07
Well, the rudder is almost complete, except for installing the rudder
horn.

There is only one minor problem.  I hollowed out the foam to 12mm, just
like the manual said.  Only after it was too late did I read somewhere
about going to 18mm or so.  Damn.

OK, no big deal.  But, do I use all 6 washers and let the plate sit off
the rudder layup a few mm or do I use 4 washers which lets the plate sit
flat on the rudder?  I see if I use the 4 washers that the bolts will be
too long, unless I use the other two washers on the opposite side of the
horn to properly space the bolts.

My vote goes for just letting the rudder horn sit off the rudder that
little bit and not loose sleep over it.  The plate itself fits well
after the usual fit "adjustments", but I had a devil of a time keeping
the 4 layers of bid to stay down on the final layup over the flox
fillets.  I still had to drill a few holes and inject some epoxy around
the fillet area to get it all tight.  Now it looks pretty good.  On to
the horiz. stab.!

Thanks for the help.

Chris
A159