Mass balance boxes

Subject: Mass balance boxes
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:47:07
Everyone else probably already knew , but since I just "discovered" this
little tidbit I thought I'd throw it out.

I'm (attempting) to fit the mass balance boxes to the port wing and,
quite by accident, noticed the letter "T" scratched into the underside
of the top of two boxes and "R" likewise on the other two.  I had
noticed a slight difference in fit, but there's no mention in the manual
that there are two root  and two tip boxes.  Did I miss another
newsletter entry?

Speaking of fit, when I set my root balance box hard against the
trailing edge closeout, the root mass balance arm's tip hits the box's
closeout.  I need about 5 mm to get them to clear.  I see three options
here: trim the end of the weight to fit (repairing the removed uni and
bid when done), cut out the end of the balance box and lengthen it
sufficiently to clear the weight, or affix the box so the weight is
clear and fill the gap (again, about 5 mm.) at the trailing edge with
flox.  A fourth option would be to use the remaining tip box, but that
would leave me with two root boxes for the starboard wing and I'm unsure
how well that would work.

Thanks in advance,

Steve G.