Re: Mass balance boxes

Subject: Re: Mass balance boxes
From: Andy Draper <ANDY@europaaircraft.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:57:35

>>> Steve Genotte <gopack=40sprintmail.com> 11/03/99 05:47pm >>>
Everyone else probably already knew , but since I just "discovered"
this little tidbit I thought I'd throw it out.

I'm (attempting) to fit the mass balance boxes to the port wing and,
quite by accident, noticed the letter "T" scratched into the underside
of the top of two boxes and "R" likewise on the other two.  I had
noticed a slight difference in fit, but there's no mention in the manual
that there are two root  and two tip boxes.  Did I miss another newsletter
entry?

I haven't mentioned the R and T identifications in the manual.  It'll
be added on the next amendment.

Speaking of fit, when I set my root balance box hard against the
trailing edge closeout, the root mass balance arm's tip hits the box's
closeout.  I need about 5 mm to get them to clear.  I see three options
here: trim the end of the weight to fit (repairing the removed uni and bid
when done), cut out the end of the balance box and lengthen it sufficiently
to clear the weight, or affix the box so the weight is clear and fill the
gap (again, about 5 mm.) at the trailing edge with flox.  A fourth option
would be to use the remaining tip box, but that would leave me with two
root boxes for the starboard wing and I'm unsure how well that would
work.

I would suggest that you reduce the length of the mass balance horn.
There's usually plenty of extra weight in the horns so you shouldn't
end up under balanced.

Andy Draper
Technical Manager
andy@europa-aircraft.com
The Europa List is supported by Aviators Network UK - info=40avnet.co.uk