Re: Antennas

Subject: Re: Antennas
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:54:53

>Bob,
>
>Fred Hulen here, off the net.  I have purchased one of your manuals, so
>maybe you wouldn't mine answering a quick question for me.

  My plesure sir . . .

>I am ready to mount a Comant CI-292-2 (BOTTOM MOUNT type, steeply swept
>back Com antenna) on my Zenith 601.  I see in the archives that most 601
>builders mount their transponder antenna immediately behind the rear "Z" of
>the center wing section (I must assume you are not familiar with the 601,
>so the rear Z is the last structural member going from left to right at the
>very rear of the center wing section where it attaches to the rear
>fuselage.)  Anyway... my questions is this: Due to limitations in ground
>clearance there is a limit as to how far I can mount the Com antenna toward
>the rear away from the transponder antenna, and, in trying to stiffen the
>mounting area for the com antenna near on of the "L" crossmembers, the
>forward base of the com antenna will be about 23" away from the transponder
>antenna.  Is this OK?  Otherwise I'll have to find a different location for
>the transponder antenna.

  The risk for mounting them closer together is that the transponder
  transmitter will put little buzzes into the comm receiver every time
  it replies to a radar interrogation. I would suggest this:

  Go ahead and mount the comm antenna further forward and see how
  well it works. If the transponder's interferrence with the comm
  receiver is small (meaning tollerable) or non-existant, then you're
  off and running. The worst thing that happens is that you have to
  find a new, more remote location for the transponder antenna later
  which is no worse than you are considering right now.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >