Hot Cockpit...

Subject: Hot Cockpit...
From: Fergus Kyle <fkyle@bigwave.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 22:28:46
Cheers:
        The discussion regarding a hot cockpit and the answer (outflow
control), pertain equally to heating the cockpit as to cooling. In any
aircraft I've flown the control of temperature was the control of the
inflow source, and the volume basically the control of the outflow.
        Outflow valves are used in order to combine cabin temperature/flow
control with that of pressurisation - not our problem.
        The design of a purposeful low pressure vent (half venturi) does a
super job of voiding air and controlling flow. I note a remark about
using the area of the stab inspection panel. The only thing to consider
is - do you want the cockpit air to fill the after fuselage area
willy-nilly? - or should it perhaps travel to the panel in dedicated
conduits? The latter will isolate excess heat and flames from the
structure for a short time should these appear, perhaps the time
required to set her down in the nearest pasture........
        What is suggested is a separate metered source for heat and one for
cold, a mixing chamber, and discrete conduits to a controllable low
pressure outflow valve. Then any combination is possible.
        I can tell you from persinal experience however, that there is NO
relief from the smell of pigs at 1500 feet in a
Stearman..........especially on a 90deg day.
Happy Landings
Ferg A064