Re: Inst. lamp dimmers

Subject: Re: Inst. lamp dimmers
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:14:56

>I built the dimmer you designed, mentioned in the RV-List, some time ago.
>It worked!  I played around with an idea I had that would make the
>instrument light level vary with ambient light intensity. By using a
>photoresitor (RS part), I got the light to dim when the ambient light was
>high, ie, daylight.  This was the opposite of what I was looking for, so I
>wired a 2N2222 transistor across the pot, controlled by the photoresistor.
>This worked fairly well, dimming the instrument light as the ambient light
>decreased.  The pot still operated to trim the light level.  I suppose with
>more tinkering, I could install a trim pot to vary the response rate of the
>photoresitor.

   Good for you!  Autodimming has been with us for awhile. The
   Cessna 400 series radios and some of the earlier autopilots
   produced some of industry's first whacks at the problem.
   I think it was fairly successful . . . you will probably have
   to tinker with the resistors associated with the photoresistor
   to set min-max ratios . . . but you can do this on the bench
   using a wall-dimmer on an overhead bulb to simulate approaching
   darkness.

   Turn down ambient lighting down all the way and let your eyes
   dark adapt for about 5 min . . . bring lighting up until you
   can just read the panel with no additional lighting  . . . this
   is the light level where panel lighting wants to be "max" . . .
   then dim room lighting to full dark and adjust the "min" to
   the right level. . . . doing this on the bench (or in the
   shop sitting in the cockpit) will get you in the ballpark
   making it unlikely that further fiddling will be needed later.

>This is all just benchtop tinkering....It hasn't been installed in any
>cockpit, so the variables of cockpit brightness, photoresistor location,
>etc., would have to be worked out. I don't know if you could get ideal
>automatic instrument light dimming, but I'm forwarding you this as food for
>thought.

   Of course radios have photo-resistors right on their
   front panels . . . a bit of a pain in the whatsit since
   your hand shades the photodetector when you reach for
   controls . . . just when you most want to see what's going
   on, the lights on the device dim down!  Your notion of
   finding a suitable photo detector location NOT on the
   panel is a sound one.

   Your efforts are a good example of ways amateur builders
   can provide bells and whistles that spam can drivers
   can only wish for. . . Let us know how it works out.
   Better yet, write up an article and share the knowledge.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)
       <  Independence Kansas: the     >