Re: [c-a] Com/Vor Antena

Subject: Re: [c-a] Com/Vor Antena
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:37:02
 <37D06454.56D643E5@usit.net>

>>> The COMM antenna must be vertical, while the NAV antenna must be
>>> horizontal.
>
>> Interesting!  So what do we do if we want to connect one of the new
handheld
>> navcomms to an external antenna to use as an emergency backup for BOTH
navigating >> and communicating? The new Yaesu has only one antenna connection.

>The proper solution is two antennas and a switch. >
>However, if you're determined to do it with one antenna and are willing to
>settle for some loss of signal strength on both NAV and COMM, you could
 mount
>a single antenna on a 45=B0 angle. This is effectively what you get if you
mount
>one element of the antenna on a vertical surface and one element on a
>horizontal surface as John Rippengal suggests. With this setup, you'd
probably
>pick up NAV signals fore and aft, but have increasing difficulty as they
>approached 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. >
>I'd recommend separate antennas if at all possible.     While it is true that
a vertical comm and horizontal
   VOR antenna represent optimum performance, you would
   he hard pressed to "see" it without test equipment.
   The hand-held VOR/Comm transceivers will work quite
   satisfactorily on the Comm antenna. Given the limited
   power output of your hand held comm transmitter and
   the VERY HEALTHY vor signal strength at cruise altitudes,
   I'd give weight to the communications performance and
   use the Comm antenna on your hand held.

       Bob . . .

                       ////
                      (o o)