Re: re: Tailplane Mass Balance

Subject: Re: re: Tailplane Mass Balance
From: GERAINT L OWENS <lloyd.owens@lineone.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:04:56
>I have got 200gm (and more) of lead (in various shapes) that I'm sure we
>could come to an arrangement over, but I'm a bit concerned about attaching
>it safely and permanently to the mass balance. Various nasty things could
>follow if it came adrift.

Thanks for the offer - but following Graham Singleton's suggestion, I've
found a local builders merchant that stocks sheet lead.   I plan to cut a 2"
strip and wrap it around the forward part of the front weight, until I have
the balance just right, then secure in place with two or three large dia.
jubilee clips. I can't foresee a problem with this; but I'd be pleased to
hear from anyone who can.

>what led to the need for more mass? (And thus how can the rest of us avoid
the same problem!)<

Andy (Draper) tells me that the rear part of my tailplanes (ie. the chunk
aft of the TP6) is heavier than the chunk for'ard.   Don't ask me why - but
Andy said there are others.   I'm not too far out; I can get the stick to
stay mid-way as things stand, but there is a tendancy for the stick to move
back easier than it is to move forward.   I want to get the balance just
right.   Regards, Lloyd Owens