Re: short field experts

Subject: Re: short field experts
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:58:34

>Anyone out there fancy landing a
Europa on a 400 yd strip that I've just "built"? It's just west
of Petersfield and one way (I think). Walking it first is no problem.
Coffee available. Give me a call so I can give you details (and move the
sheep!)

Hi Ben, 400 is a bit short in the sense that it makes it
difficult to determine the "No Go" limits. Is there a slope?
That means usually uphill landings and downhill take offs, Problem is
deciding which way to take off when it's marginal either way. Also it
places a premium on performance and that means engine and temperature.
914 is the favourite for that but at a price. (Complication, so more
things to go wrong and cost. )

Would a bit of thread creep be accepatable?

Talking of 914s, I had the privelege of doing the first few flights on
Geof Leadham's tri gear, G-EOFS. on Saturday. It flew extremely well,
very straight and take off performance from Tatenhill's hard runway was
startling. Geof built it light, 855 lbs , and fitted an Arplast VP prop,
so in spite of the hot weather it was off the ground almost before I had
time to glance at the gauges.

Geof sat in the right hand seat for the next three flights and copied a
few figures . We extended the envelope down to stalls and up to 120 kts.
It was a bit lumpy ( typical high pressure thermals below the inversion)
so we were reluctant to go any faster.

We did manage to block one of the fuel filters which caused a low fuel
pressure warning from the Grand Rapids engine monitor. It looked like
ground fuel pipe dust. (black) . Switching the second pump on cured it
and got us back to the field. I do think a fuel pressure gauge of some
sort is highly desireable. Better if it squarks automatically if pressure
drops.

Apart from that the airplane behaved flawlessly. It was a delight to fly
and a credit to it's builder.

Graham