Re: Wilksch engine and other goodies

Subject: Re: Wilksch engine and other goodies
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:00:00

     David,
     The Wilksch diesel is a turbocharged 2 stroke. I think the version
     in the Europa was an in-line 3 cylinder 100HP water - cooled
     inverted unit with pressure - fed wet sump in=A0the cam cover. It
     certainly looked a neat installation - the size and orientation
     lending itself to a sleek cowl design (prototype courtesy Graham
     Singleton's "G Flight" ). I think air is blown into the cylinder
     via inlet valves - which close before the compression stroke. The
     fuel (which can be avtur) is injected and the combustion stroke
     drives the piston down to where the exhaust ports are in the
     cylinder. The exhaust exits the cylinder and energises the turbo
     which injects a fresh charge of air and so on.
     The units are still under development and I don't think the design
     has been finalised. It is at least 20Lb heavier than a Rotax 912 -
     but then the Rotax doesn't burn Avtur!
     Roger Mills
     G-BVUV

     The scavenging charge of air is blown in through ports in the side
     of the cylinder , then compressed by the piston and fuel injected
     at the apropriate moment. Ignition occurs , by heat of compression
     then the piston descends (actually ascends) the inlet ports are
     uncovered , also the 2 or 3 valves in the head open to allow
     exhaust. Power is designed 120 HP.

     It is intended to develop both 4 and 5 cylinder versions.

     Graham