Re: Wilksch engine and other goodies

Subject: Re: Wilksch engine and other goodies
From: Roger Mills <Roger.Mills@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 19:12:00

Wilksch engine and other goodiesDavid,
The Wilksch diesel is a turbocharged 2 stroke. I think the version in the Europa
was an in-line 3 cylinder 100HP water - cooled inverted unit with pressure -
fed wet sump in the cam cover. It certainly looked a neat installation - the
size and orientation lending itself to a sleek cowl design (prototype courtesy
Graham Singleton's "G Flight" ). I think air is blown into the cylinder via
inlet
valves - which close before the compression stroke. The fuel (which can be
avtur) is injected and the combustion stroke drives the piston down to where
the exhaust ports are in the cylinder. The exhaust exits the cylinder and
energises
the turbo which injects a fresh charge of air and so on.
The units are still under development and I don't think the design has been
finalised.
It is at least 20Lb heavier than a Rotax 912 - but then the Rotax doesn't
burn Avtur!
Roger Mills
G-BVUV