Re: Changing wing pins

Subject: Re: Changing wing pins
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 00:16:23

>He was advised to heat the pin, turn and that it should then release and
>come out.  It did turn once but...
>A combination of, we think, insufficient heat from a small torch, and
>me interrupting at just the wrong moment to say dinner was ready!....
>the torch blew out and the net result was that the pin cooled and broke
>after it had initially released.
>I am in deep ..... and would like to see if I could find some solution.
>
>Tonight he went to the RAA meeting with hope that a solution to release the
>locktite (sp?) would be found.   We plan to try again by protecting the wing
>from heat with a shield of the firewall material and using a stronger heat
>source.  Reassurance would help.   Does anyone out there have any other
>suggestions?  There is a stub about 1/2" remaining.

It may be that the steel pin has seized in the aluminum plate, rather than
just the Loctite gripping. Try more heat as you suggest, but turn the pin
to screw it in a little, then out. Keep  reversing the turning, hopefully
getting a little more movement each time.

You could file three flats on the pin stub then grip it with a large drill
chuck, failing that use a pipe wrench. The bigger the better. Finally thwe
right incantation might help. Best of luck.

If nothing works, drill it out with successively larger drills, dig out the
remaining thread spiral and retap. If that fails too, remove the plates and
put new ones on.

Graham