Changing wing pins

Subject: Changing wing pins
From: Christine Timm <cptimm@intergate.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 21:23:37
Help! I have a very unhappy husband.  He was trying to replace the wing pins
to use the new ones, intended for the glider wing configuration, when
disaster struck.

He was advised to heat the pin, turn and that it should then release and
come out.  It did turn once but...
A combination of, we think, insufficient heat from a small torch, and
me interrupting at just the wrong moment to say dinner was ready!....
the torch blew out and the net result was that the pin cooled and broke
after it had initially released.
I am in deep ..... and would like to see if I could find some solution.

Tonight he went to the RAA meeting with hope that a solution to release the
locktite (sp?) would be found.   We plan to try again by protecting the wing
---From heat with a shield of the firewall material and using a stronger heat
source.  Reassurance would help.   Does anyone out there have any other
suggestions?  There is a stub about 1/2" remaining.

On a lighter note, I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's progress and
feel the world is so much smaller when we hear trips to Holland and other
Europa activities.

Looking forward to being of assistance one day when we can help solve
someone else's problems!

Chris and Peter Timm
Builder #110 (UK) - Canada