Tail wheel mod

Subject: Tail wheel mod
From: mike smythe mike@msmythe.freeserve.co.uk by way of Moira Millar <moira@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:51:34

We have flown our Europa over 400 hours during the last 4 years and Jim
Naylor and I have been in either the right or left seat for most of this
time.Last Summer we did the tailwheel mod and fitted a VP prop.These two
mods have totally transformed the a/c.For me the prop has meant that there
is no longer any need to raise the tail at 35kts and so enter the unstable
period when directional control in a crosswind,on a rough field or when hot
and heavy could give problems.The reduced angle of attack on the ground as
a result of the tailwheel mod prevents the a/c being bounced into the air
before its ready to fly,now as speed passes 35kts we ease the back pressure
on the stick and and at 50kts we are off the ground into a positive rate of
climb with no drama.Landings are also much less dramatic than before, the
a/c is more forgiving and not so speed critical and will stay on the ground
also as a result of the lower angle of attack.
After 4 years I trully believe our Europa has exceeded all its promises.it
is just not possible to become bored with it.During the last 25 years I
have flown more than 30 types including Pitts and Pulsars(awfull!!)nothing
has yet come close to Europa for performance,comfort and economy and the
sheer joy of flying this amazing aircraft.
WE are based at Bidford near Stratford and any builder ,flyer is welcome to
drop in and see us..we dont need much pursuading to give a demo.! With
regard to the letter from the anonymous sceptics they are obviously not
flyers ,just frustrated builders..
Anyone wanting to fly in to Bidford should give me a call on 01386 710440...
I will be in Cape Town over Easter and would like to meet up with any
Europa flyers there.
Mike Smith..Europa No.39