Ground Handling

Subject: Ground Handling
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:19:41
Regarding the 'blind spot' raised by Martin Stoner and subsequently queried
by another on this forum. (I have tried to phone Martin on this subject).

I have in the past paced out the view from the cockpit of our Europa and I
am able to see the ground about 25 feet in front of the aircraft. So yes,
there is around a 25ft blind spot directly in front of the pilot and
extending round slightly to the starboard. However, in practice, with the
forward movement of the aircraft, I find the view to be quite natural and
have found no reason to weave. However if I were to stop for any period of
time, then I would initially swing round when I start to taxi again, to
clear the view ahead.
I should add that this does require that you are sitting in the recommended
position (within 1 inch of the top of the canopy). I have found when I am
sitting in other Europas which are obviously not optimised for my size, the
view out is very restricted and in these circumstances one would have to
weave considerably.

Dave Watts, 'XDY