Landing gear overcentre position

Subject: Landing gear overcentre position
From: Mr D M Cope <dmc@argonet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 13:20:17
I have just assembled my main landing gear swinging arm for the first time, and
was surprised at how little the extent of overcentre was in the 'down'
position. I had trouble in measuring the extent exactly (the line from the
centre of LG09 shaft to the lower pivot LG04 is difficult to define), but the
overcentre could only be a couple of millimeters measured at the top plate
(LG05) pivot pin centres when the LG08s are on the stops and the swinging arm
is unloaded.  Mindful that there have been a few incidents attributed to
failure of the latch/overcentre mechanism, I was wondering what the 'normal'
degree of overcentre is.  If anyone can remember, or is in a position to
measure, their overcentres, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Dave  #340
--

dmc@argonet.co.uk              Leicester, central UK