TP 18

Subject: TP 18
From: J D Bean <JohnBean@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:45:09
A query.

I have my lower fuselage in a garage. The top is not yet fitted. I have not
worked on this part for a month or so and have recently noticed some ligt
corrosion on unprotected steel parts - completed items are painted or
whatever. The area I am concerned about and seek guidence over is the TP18
arm that has the tailplane balance weights on its end. There is light
corrosion on the tube and in the bore if the weights. When this assembly is
completed the weights are not fixed to the TP18 but located on it. As a
result they are able to rotate, if a paint or other sort of surface
protection is applied it could easily be 'fretted' and worn away. Could
anyone suggest a method of preventing corrosion in this area?

Further to the note of the Stearman dropping a wing when level asked by
someone (origional message deleted). I presume that the Turn & Slip ball
has been checked to make sure it is correctly level.

Thanks, John Bean (very slow build of Kit 23)