Re: Europa Flying Experience

Subject: Re: Europa Flying Experience
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:23:06
>>> I wonder, is there anyone that ever did a take-off or landing in Europa's
>demonstrator.
>

>I very much suspect that a large proportion of the incidents were caused by
>
>a) The original tailwheel configuration which (having experienced it under
>my own feet) can be a real bitch to handle during the takeoff transition.
>
>The XS tailwheel configuration, by comparison, is no more difficult that a
>piper cub to handle - but even very experienced pilots can get into trouble
>on those!

snip
>or
>
>b) Trike pilots converting to conventional gear and then going flying their
>Europa's with very little conventional gear experience.

You can also add: taildragger pilots flying it like a taildragger... whilst
it might seem to be a funny taildragger, and have many similar habits, it
isn't: it's a monowheel.

Having said that, I get the impression (from current europa pilots) that
perhaps the suspension doesn't help: the dampers don't really appear up to
the job, and can allow the aeroplane to become airbourne before it or the
pilot is ready.

In terms of difficulty, it's about average - harder than a Luscombe, the
same as a J3 cub, easier than an Auster. For those twitching about it, the
first true taildragger Europa will be under test shortly. When that happens,
I'll post a report.

As for Stumpy Stoner's little contra-temps - my understanding is that he was
trying to taxi in a 35kt tailwind -and even a 172 will probably react the
same way - with more expensive results.

lastly, if you really  have something to say, include your name(s).

Miles