Re: More rudder

Subject: Re: More rudder
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:24:59
In a message dated 1/24/99, Steve Genotte wrote:

<< While knife trimming last night, my knife slipped and I drew a 4
 cm line down the trailing edge.  I've just pulled the peel ply out and
 that line is actually a slice.  It exits the trailing edge at one end so
 I have a loose flap of glass about halfway down the tail.  Can I repair
 this with a couple layers of uni or some other such method?

Since this is the trailing edge, I would just put a small layer of bid at the
tear, on the inside, to hold it together when you lay up the opposite side.  I
gave up trying to knife trim thin trailing edges like this, or edges supported
only by foam.  You can also let it cure, and trim with a 24T hacksaw blade.
At the right angle to the glass, it cuts neat and fast.  That way also, you
partially have your life back by not watching the clock for that magic "rubber
stage."

<< Also, we were pretty extravagant with epoxy and there was some pretty
 good overrun on both ends.  I've sanded it down to a very thin layer in
 places and through to clean foam in others.  I'm guessing the second
 layup will adhere to this since it's scuffed up pretty well but I'm not
 sure.  Any tips on this are welcome as well. >>

No harm.  Just remember, when doing the peel ply for these lap joints, to look
for swipe off any runs (alcohol and paper towels work fine).

Hope this helps....

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A036