More rudder

Subject: More rudder
From: Steve Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:44:34
All,

Thanks for the explanations that solved the mystery of the missing
triangle.  Here's another point to ponder and possibly pontificate
upon.  While knife trimming last night, my knife slipped and I drew a 4
cm line down the trailing edge.  I've just pulled the peel ply out and
that line is actually a slice.  It exits the trailing edge at one end so
I have a loose flap of glass about halfway down the tail.  Can I repair
this with a couple layers of uni or some other such method?

Also, we were pretty extravagant with epoxy and there was some pretty
good overrun on both ends.  I've sanded it down to a very thin layer in
places and through to clean foam in others.  I'm guessing the second
layup will adhere to this since it's scuffed up pretty well but I'm not
sure.  Any tips on this are welcome as well.

Let me say that I'm discouraged by this, just disappointed.  I thought I
was better prepared but I let things push me around instead of vice
versa.  If need be, I'll get another rudder core from Europa and chalk
this up to experience.

Thanks for your help and support,

Steve G.