Re: Carb heat for 912

Subject: Re: Carb heat for 912
From: Dave Simpson <DaveSimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:37:30
John,

As Richard says, the 912 has been known to suffer badly from carb icing
when installed in some microlights, the main recipient being the butterfly
valve.  On trikes there is no cowling and no chance for the air temperature
to rise.  One manufacturer here cured the carb icing problem with hot water
pipes wrapped around the air filter - this on a Rotax 582 trike I believe.

The problem with this solution, like direct hot air from an exhaust jacket,
is that it reduces the performance of the engine.  So you either leave it
on all the time to be safe and suffer performance loss, or (like me) you
forget to apply hot air periodically in flight; sooner or later it catches
you out.

Nigel's device warms the throat of the carb itself and prevents ice build
up on the throat and butterfly without significant warming of the
air entering the engine.  This means you can leave it on all the time.  He
detects no speed drop with heat on.

Dave