Re: DIESEL ENGINE in Europa XS

Subject: Re: DIESEL ENGINE in Europa XS
From: Rowland and Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:28:24

>Message text written by "Hendrik BERVOETS"
>>120 hp Wilksch DIESEL.

>It's a water cooled 3 cylinder in line direct drive turbocharged 2 stroke.

Sounds to me like a Commer Cob (small lorry common in the 50s & 60s in UK)
- I'm pretty sure it was a 3-cylinder 2-stroke turbo-charged diesel. And
speaking of sound, boy was it NOISY!

In principle, a 3-cylinder 2-stroke should be pretty smooth (remember how
that old Saab 96 used to hum?) - I guess because the 3 power impulses per
crankshaft revolution makes it similar to an in-line 6-cyl 4-stroke (a
widely-accepted standard of smoothness in the automotive world). But, to
keep it as quiet as a Rotax, some careful work on the silencer is likely to
be needed. Despite my comments last year in favour of the BMW conversion, I
like the idea of a diesel a lot too. (Been driving diesels on the road for
over 10 years now with great satisfaction.)

Hope that this will not be another project that gets cut by the bean counters!

How will the Wilksch compare in price with a Rotax 912S?

I await developments with interest.

cheers

Rowland

... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...