Chattering countersinks

Subject: Chattering countersinks
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 13:12:53
Sorry to repeat this but the number I quoted for the Cleveland
uni-flute was not their part number but a catalog number for
Rutland Tool Supply. Also, there's a second style of countersink that's
equally smooth . . .

>> I followed the procedure you outlined in option 2. I used a piece of
>> .125 scrap with a #30 pilot hole, and clamped it to the spar flange to
>> guide the countersink. I still had some chatter, most likely due to the
>> hole wallowing out somewhat after numerous iterations. It all came out
>> fine, however.

>When I use my airdrill to countersink I will occassionally experience
>chatter.

   What kind of countersinks are you using? At RAC and in my
   own toolbox, I've pitched all the hardware store countersinks
   (designed originally for wood) that have a multitude of cutting
   edges.  The aviation industry uses single flute cutters for
   most hand-held applications. Check with your local tool suppliers
   for Cleveland Twist Drill uni-flute countersinks. I've used these in
   my shop for years . . they're very smooth in thin sheet metal.

   Anoher nice choice is Weldon high speed steel pilotless countersinks
   which have the usual conical shape but replace the radial cutting
   edge with a hole drilled normal to the face of the cone. The 100
   degree part number is CSA-8. Either style is under $10 from most
   tool suppliers.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)