Re: RV-List: Wire terminals

Subject: Re: RV-List: Wire terminals
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:12:05
>Is there such a thing as "aircraft quality" electrical
>terminals or are the ones I buy at Radio  Shack the
>same as those sold by Vans or Aircraft Spruce?

  First, I'll suggest the term "aircraft quality" is
  without definition but in answer to your question,
  there's a major difference between auto-parts-store
  versus environmentally qualified terminals recommended
  for use on airplanes.

  The major feature of a solderless terminal for single
  wire termination is the inclusion of a metal liner
  inside the plastic sleeve that is supposed to support
  the insulation of a crimped wire.  The premier terminal
  maker (AMP Incorporated) offers both pre-insulated, diamond
  grip (PIDG) and all plastic (PlastiGrip) terminals.
  Virtually all major terminal manufacturers offer equivalent
  parts.

  Anyone who goes to the trouble to include this sleeve
  has probably taken the time and effort to become a
  qualified supplier under one or more of the military
  specifications describing the better terminals. When in
  doubt, look inside the wire end of the un-crimped
  terminal . . . you should see two pieces of metal
  inside the plastic insulator. One is the butt end of
  the terminal where the stripped end of the wire will
  go . . . the other is a thin metal liner inside the
  insulator that will extend almost to the open end
  of the plastic.

       Bob . . .
                       ////
                      (o o)