Rotax P.M. Alternator loading

Subject: Rotax P.M. Alternator loading
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:12:02
Can the alternator in the europa be run with out a battery attached after
the capacitor at the regulator?  That is,  can the output be allowed to
float.  The objective is to allow for a primary alternator ( 35-40 Amp )
to run the a/c with the rotax  alternator a backup power source.  I am
working on a belt driven unit that will use the vacuum pump mounting /
drive  area on the back of the prop drive.  This will be a speed up drive
to run the alternator at 4 - 5000 RPM.  Since it is a belt drive, it can
fail.  Thus, use the rotax PM unit as the secondary, although lower power
output to "get you home".   I am planning to use a full electric panel  (
as I can afford it ).  Power to spare -----   Graham.  what do you think?
  I don't have a book on the engine yet as mine won't be delivered until
later this month ( I hope).  I am not sure that it would cover this
possible situation.  Does anybody know for sure???  I am considering
using the approx. 18 Amps from the rotax to run my Strobes and running
lights all the time except during a main alt. failure.  That load would
alone comprise about 14 Amps.   Even if I use just my strobes, the rotax
unit would have at least a 5 Amp load all the time with out the battery
attached.  These lights would be turned off when a main generator failed
and  I had to use only the rotax alt. to get me home.
Using a second battery is something I had hoped to avoid.  Relay
switching and complications grow you know.

                                                                        Jim
Nelson
                                                                        A058
                                                                        St.