Re: MONRO PROXIMITY WARNER

Subject: Re: MONRO PROXIMITY WARNER
From: Fillinger@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:50:15
Hello, Barry --

If you're referring to Monroy Aerospace's (poor man's TCAS) device, I don't
know how good it is, but I am considering one.

However, what I do know is that these type devices will not prevent the
accident you described unless ATC radar is on the field or a nearby field, and
other planes are responding in Mode C.  These are passive devices which
measure the strength (and read Mode C pulses) of their transponder replies
when ATC radar interrogates them.  But at pattern altitudes where collision
hazard is greatest, there are no replies to read if no ATC radar is nearby.

(Info re Monroy's unit is available at www.monroyaero.com)

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063

<< Hi Guys!

Does anyone have any experience with the Monro proximity warning instrument.
We had a mid air at our local field last weekend with 2 deaths.

It makes you think hard!

If anyone has any info I would appreciate it and keep your eyes open up there.

Best regards

Barry >>